RMS Mauretania
RMS Mauretania was built for the Cunard Line and launched on the Tyne in 1906. She was the largest and fastest ship and the world and held the Blue Riband for 22 years. The Mauretania and her sister ship, Luisitania, had a designed speed of 24 knots. She was 31,938GRT with a length of 790ft (241m) and a beam of 88ft (27m). He carried 2165 passengers and 802 crew.
Lusitania was torpedoed and sunk in 1915, and Mauretaina was used first as a troopship and later as a hospital ship during the Gallipoli campaign. Later she carried 1,000s of Canadian and US troops to Liverpool. She resumed her passenger sailings in 1919. By 1929 her age was showing in in 1934 she was retired, her fittings were sold in 1935 before she was scrapped at Rosyth. Captain Cooper purchased some of her woodwork for his new house, the pesent Odin.